The Organisation offers various grants to assist people with spinal cord paralysis and limb loss as they move to individual or communal living following a period of hospitalisation after a paralysing or significant injury.

Acute Spinal Cord Injury Cord Grants

The Organisation recognises the challenges faced when moving back into the community following hospitalisation for significant injury. This grant provides financial assistance on first discharge from acute care, to help with the purchase of essential equipment and other costs incurred as a consequence of hospitalisation for paralysing injury (or disease of the spinal cord).

Grants are made available to people who sustain spinal cord injury (or disease of the spinal cord) in Western Australia, resulting in permanent paralysis, who undergo acute care and rehabilitation in a medical facility and choose the Organisation to administer their community accommodation support options.

An amount of up to $2,000 may be made available to quadriplegics and $750 to paraplegics, to assist with the purchase of essential equipment or other cumulative costs of injury.

Applications should be made within the applicant’s first admission in relation to their spinal injury and prior to discharge. Information regarding the distribution of grants monies should also be included with a letter from the Royal Perth Rehabilitation Hospital outlining the permanence and level of your spinal injury. The occupational therapist in direct contact with the individual will usually assist with selection and application for equipment.

Applications should be submitted to the Executive Director through the Organisation’s Community Services Coordinator on or (08) 9381 0176.

Establishment Grants

An extension to the Acute Spinal Cord Injury Grant, The Organisation provides further support to people moving back into the community following a period of hospitalisation for significant injury.

People with permanent spinal cord injury moving to independent community accommodation are able to apply for a further $1,000 to assist with the costs of re-establishing themselves in a new home or community accommodation.

To be eligible you must also have a valid contract with the Organisation to administer your home care needs.

Maud Zervos Education Grants

The Organisation offers education grants to children of parent/s with a disability who are financial members of the Organisation. Scholarships to the value of $750 per annum for the first three years and $1000 for the fourth and fifth years are available to students to meet some of the costs of secondary education. The annual continuance of scholarships up to Year 10 is subject to satisfactory academic results each year. Scholarships for students in Years 11 and 12 are performance-based and successful applicants will have shown a commitment to secondary education through their performance and attitude in the first three years of study.

The grant application process is fully electronic. For additional information or to lodge an application, please visit the Department of Education's scholarships webpage, which opens early in Term 4 each year.

Applications must be submitted (uploaded) to the Department of Education's scholarships webpage by 5.30pm Monday of the last week of term in December each year. A panel from the Department of Education will conduct the selection process and forward their recommendations to the Executive Director, who will review them and advise the Board accordingly.

Medical and Related Research Grants

The Organisation has a firm commitment to research, both in respect of prevention and new methods of treatment. The Foundation recognises that primary medical research is fundamental in determining and evaluating new methods of treatment and prevention of spinal cord injury or disease.

Enquiries and application forms should be directed to:

Executive Director

PO Box 257


Equipment for Living and Disability Equipment Grants

The Organisation helps current financial members to apply for grants from The Independent Living Centre to purchase capital items of equipment that will facilitate access to employment, education or training, or simply improve the quality of life. People with a demonstrated need may apply for assistance in more than one equipment category. Applications can be made at any time and assessment of the application takes approximately 4–6 weeks.

Firstly, it must be determined if the individual is Community Aids and Equipment Programme (CAEP) eligible. If so, the Equipment for Living (EFL) Grant can be completed. This grant covers equipment requested by CAEP clients that cannot be funded by CAEP.

For those who are CAEP eligible, the applicant’s general practitioner will need to write a referral to their local CAEP provider. An occupational therapist (via the provider) can then assess the person’s need for that equipment and their ability to use it safely. A supporting letter is then forwarded to the ILC to accompany their application.

If the individual is not CAEP eligible, they will need to apply for the Disability Equipment Grant. Documentation from an occupational therapist supporting their request for essential equipment is required, along with clinical rationale to support the client’s choice.

The maximum EFL individual grant is $5,000.

Equipment grants can be made to apply for vehicle hoists and modifications, assistive technology for people with communication and/or vision impairment, air conditioners, essential independence equipment and more. To view the entire list of items and equipment available for funding, please visit the ILC’s website

* It is the responsibility of the applicant organisation and the individual to ensure that all vehicle modifications comply with Department of Transport regulations and that the individual holds a current, appropriately endorsed driver’s licence, if required.

Applications should be submitted to the Executive Director through the Foundation’s Community Services Coordinator on or (08) 9381 0176.